Tuesday 1 July 2014

Playing With Scary Monster

Hello.  Welcome.  If you been here before you may have picked up the fact that me and my sewing machine, aka Scary Monster, don't always see eye to eye.  So exactly why I decided to make a fabric tag eludes me temporarily.  Maybe it was the Tag It theme at Crafty Individuals combined with the Fabric theme at Eclectic Paperie.  Or maybe it was the bundle of 20 x 20cm squares of fabric IKEA have started selling.  OK, they are 20 x 20 but you are getting a lot of fabric for your pennies.  My bundle contained a couple of plain squares and my first thought was Oh!  Followed by Yes!  What can you do with a 20cm square?  You can cut it in half and make a tag!!

 
I started by cutting it in half and sewing the two halves together.  Scary Monster liked this idea.  I added a piece of chunky wool at this stage, a usually forgotten detail that I immediately regretted!  I applied gesso with a metal scrapper, two layers, leaving a bit of texture with the second layer.  I wrapped some paper around the wool to protect it from the paint.  See, maybe I should have waited with the wool.  I added PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Butternut leaving some white space.  I was going to go Rose, but again the wool is going dictate a little.  I stamped with CI bird stamp and VersaMagic Jumbo Java



I added some pieces ripped from various CI background papers and roughly sewed them to the tag.  Then I dry brushed some gesso to bring it all together.  Hopefully.......


Stamped with some stamp and postmark stamps in black Archival


Didn't like this so added another layer of CI background paper which I stamped and embossed with CI Oriental Fans stamp.  Scary Monster starting to protest about the layers and also the hours.  Crafting after midnight, strange mojo flying by.....



This was going to be the seagull on a suitcase stamp but somehow these guys got in the picture.  Its CI Penguins coloured with PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Limelight.  The flowers are PaperArtsy JM34 coloured with FF Pansy and Limelight and fussy cut.  The greeting is a Kort og Godt stamp and the arrow paperclips came from IKEA.  

 
Joining the fun at
Crafty Individuals - Tag It
Eclectic Paperie Eplay Challenge - Fabric 
7 Kids Challenge 102 - Anything Goes 
Stamping Sensations - Animal Antics 
Fashionable Stamping Challenge #76 - Flowers 

Thanks for your visit.  Have a great day.  Hugs

6 comments:

Kay Wallace said...

Without intending to, it seems you have created an almost mountainous tag! So many layers, my friend, but each adding another layer of interest! Love all the fabric, too. You have created a masterpiece, Gail, and I love it!

Jean Hardy said...

Lovely layering Gail, and result nice and bright. Thanks for joining in the Crafty Individuals June Challenge. Jean x

Eret said...

It must be so fun to make this big tag. Love the layers. Thank you for showing the progress step-by-step. And thank you for sharing your wonderful tag with us at Stamping Sensation. I hope you join with us again.
Eret x

Yvonne Garner said...

What a journey your tag has taken with a stunning result! Thank you for sharing with us at FSC! Best, Yvonne

Sylvia said...

fabulous layered background, wonderful tag.

Sylv xx

Juliz Design Post said...

Wow Gail, your tag is brilliant. Love all your textures and layers.
Julie x